Oxtail Soup Recipe (Sop Buntut)
1 Spring onion, cut into 2-3 pieces
1 tablespoon Margarine
200 g Carrots, cut into 3 cm piece, then halved or quartered
250 g Potatoes, cut into 4-6 pieces, Salt to taste
1 kg Oxtail / beef tail, cut into serving pieces
1/2 tablespoon Chopped ginger
1/2 Nutmeg, bruised
3 cloves Garlic
1 teaspoon Peppercorns
Chopped Chinese parsley
– Put oxtail in a pan with 2 liters water and bring to the boil.
– Carefully scoop off and discard the scum floating on the surface.
– Discard the stock and replace with 2 liters clean water.
– Add chopped ginger, nutmeg and spring onion.
– Cover the pan and simmer over low heat until tender.
– Remove the tail, reserving 1 1/2 liters stock.
– Bring the stock to the boil, then add oxtail.
– Heat margarine and fry ground spices until fragrant.
– Add to the boiling stock, then add carrots and potatoes.
– Bring to the boil until the ingredients are thoroughly cooked.
– Garnish with fried shallots, spring onions, and Chinese parsley.
– Serve hot.