Tesco-Recipe for Hot Cross Buns
* 100 g caster sugar
* 7 g sachet easy blend dried yeast
* 500 g Strong white bread flour
* 1 tsp salt* 2 tsp mixed spice
* 250 ml milk plus 3 tbsp
* 1 large Lion Quality egg, beaten
* 250 g dried mixed fruit
* 50 g butter
* 50 g plain flour
How to make :
1.Sift together the flour, salt, spice and 50g of the sugar, stir in the yeast and fruit In a large bowl. In a small pan, melt the butter, then add the milk and heat until tepid – it should just feel warm to the touch.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients, stir in the milk, then the egg and mix to form a soft dough. Tip the dough out on a floured work surface and knead for 5-8 mins until smooth and elastic.
3. Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place a little way apart on an oiled baking shee, use a knife to cut a cross in top of each. Cover with oiled clear film and leave to prove in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 19C/Fan 170C/Gas Mark 5. To make the crosses, put the plain flour in a small bowl with 6 tbsp cold water; mix to a smooth paste. Spoon into a piping bag and neatly pipe a cross over each of the buns. Bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown.
5.Heat the remaining sugar and milk with 3 tbsp water in a small pan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil for 1 min. Remove the buns from the oven and brush twice with the glaze. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm spread with butter.