Who doesn’t love Indonesian food? It tastes good with a lot of spices. There is more to see than just fried rice or nasi goreng. A lot of people already know fried rice and they are surprised by the taste. Well, if you haven’t tried if before, then try it whenever you come to visit the country. Even culinary experts praise Indonesian cuisine because they are so impressed by the rich flavors. They are not only mouthwatering, but also look tempting. There are so many indonesian recipes you can try.
Chicken satay is the first that we want to introduce. Have you tried it? If so, then you may have been quite familiar with the taste. It is made of chicken cut into small chunks. It is basically meat on a stick, pretty much like a grilled barbecue dish. The difference is that it uses only chicken instead of a mixture of meat and vegetables. Chicken satay is locally known as sate ayam, usually served with peanut sauce. The sauce is creamy and complements the skewers very well. You can find it everywhere, from restaurants to roadside stalls. It looks brownish, but add some soy sauce and it will look even more delicious. Do you want to make it? Prepare for the chicken satay ingredients first, then.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Wooden skewers
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- It takes 30 minutes to grill the skewers. Add to a bowl the chicken thighs, salt, olive oil, and white pepper. Put the bowl in the fridge and let it stay there for an hour. You will want the spices to seep into the chicken. This helps improve the taste of the chicken.
- Soak the skewers in water. This is important to prevent burning. Some people prefer to use metal skewers, but if you want them to be disposable and cheap, use wooden ones.
- Put peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and water into a saucepan. Bring this mixture to a boil. Switch off the gas stove and add ½ tbsp salt. Stir it and wait until it cools down. When it does not feel hot anymore, add the lime juice.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge. Wait for a few minutes, and then thread it onto skewers. At this point, the chicken already has a unique flavor. You only need to grill it to bring out the aroma and flavor. Heat makes it tender, so that you can bite it easily.
- Make a peanut sauce out of the available ingredients. And then use a brush to apply the mixture on the chicken. Make sure all the skewers are covered in peanut sauce.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. It is better to cook it slowly to ensure that the chicken is well done. Put the skewers on the grill pan and arrange properly, so that you can flip them easily. It takes only 2-3 minutes to cook the chicken. It looks simple, right? You should chicken satay at home.