Indonesia does have a lot of tasty dishes. If you want to know the most popular dishes by the locals, then try Gudeg. It is well known all over the country, but originated from Yogyakarta. It is typically sweet. Although it can be served with rice, you should know that it tastes sugary especially because jackfruit, which is the primary ingredient, is cooked with palm sugar. It is not hard to find this food in various places in Indonesia. Another interesting fact about gudeg is that it comes in so many variations.
The first one is called ‘gudeg basah’. It uses more coconut milk than usual, so it appears wet. The problem is when you add coconut milk to a dish, don’t expect it to last long. It applies to this food as well. If you want to make this version of gudeg, better finish it as soon as possible. Or you can store it in the fridge when you don’t want to eat it. ‘Gudeg kering’ is another type. This one also uses coconut milk, but it is cooked longer, so that the coconut milk thickens. It looks dry, but tastes quite special, too. Do you want to gudeg? We’ll give you a gudeg recipe.
- 500 g young jackfruit, cut into medium pieces
- 1 liter of coconut milk
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cm galangal, smashed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, smashed and knotted
- 75 grams palm sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 grams shallots
- 4 cloves
- 8 candlenuts
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- You have to grind the shallots, candlenuts, and cloves until they become a paste. Do not add water because the shallots are juicy enough to create a paste.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the paste, palm sugar, salt, lemongrass, bay leaves, lime leaves, and galangal. You can saute this mixture until it becomes fragrant.
- We suggest you use a large pot because you need to pour 1 liter of coconut milk and the jackfruit into the pot. Bring it to a boil. All the ingredients, especially the mixture should be drowned into the coconut milk to ensure it is fully cooked in the end. Also, you should cook it with medium heat because coconut milk tends to curdle at high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer. Some people like to add hard-boiled eggs to their gudeg. If you do, then add them during the cooking process. Don’t forget to boil and peel them beforehand. Once the mixture is boiling, simmer on the lowest heat because coconut milk can’t deal with too much heat. You would want to ensure that the spiced liquid seeps into the jackfruit and eggs. It probably takes 3-5 hours to finish.
- Turn off the source of heat. If it doesn’t taste salty enough, add more salt. You can always check the taste and see if more salt or palm sugar needs to be added. Not everyone likes it too sweet. Others like it creamy and sugary. Just adjust the taste to your liking. Leave it in the pot until it cools down and serve. You can also serve it warm or hot.
That’s a gudeg recipe that you can try.