Karedok is a dish from Indonesia. It is a bit reminiscent of other Indonesian foods. With such a unique taste, so you should try it yourself. While it’s quite well-known in the country, it actually originated from Western Java. Karedok is served with various toppings. Since vegetables are the primary ingredient, it is really healthy. It is pretty much like any other salad. The difference is it is served with a peanut sauce. Not only does it taste great, but the nutritional value is equally high. The dish got its name from a village named Karedok.
Well, we are sure you can already imagine what it tastes like considering it uses vegetables that we usually use for cooking. There is nothing special except for the sauce. This will remind you of gado-gado, another popular Indonesian food. Another thing that sets it apart from others is the fact that the vegetables are raw. Unlike other traditional foods inw hich the veggies are boiled first, this food uses raw vegetables. Therefore, you must pay attention to the cleanliness before using them to make karedok. We must agree that raw vegetables are naturally better since the beneficial compounds are still intact, not ruined through boiling and other ways of cooking.
- 250 grams peanuts, fried
- 6 red chilies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 lime, squeeze the water
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 5 cm galingale
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 ml boiled water
- 150 grams oncom
- 5 bean stalk, finely sliced
- 2 pieces of cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 eggplants, sliced ??into small chunks
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 50 grams bean sprouts, boiled briefly
- 50 basil
- First you have to make a sauce out of the sauce ingredients. Put all of them into a blender and mix them at a low speed. If you do not like it too smooth or runny, then grind them, instead. Actually, grinding is a more popular practice when it comes to making sauce in Indonesia. No matter what kinds of sauce they want to make, the ingredients are usually ground instead of being blended. This makes the sauce have a rough texture, not smooth. Add some water into the mixture, so that the sauce is not too thick.
- Once you’re done with the sauce, you can serve the vegetables with it.
- Arrange the vegetables on the plate. They can be used to make a few servings. Have you tried gado-gado? Well, the presentation of this dish is similar to that. You can add as much veggies as you want. Some people like to eat it with rice. If you want to eat it as a side dish, then do not add too many vegetables because they are rich in fiber. You will feel content very quickly after eating it. On top of that, you can spread prawn crackers. They are crunchy, so eating karedok will be much enjoyable. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and you can eat it.
It sounds easy, right? You have to try this karedok recipe yourself.