Today we will share some Indonesian potato recipes. There are many ways to cook potatoes. Therefore, we can make a variety of dishes from this vegetable. For example, we can bake them or make french fries by frying. If you don’t want to eat much oil, just boil them and make a soup. Before cooking, it is important to peel the potatoes. Just use a peeler to remove the outer skin.
Don’t forget to wash them with running water. Potatoes are highly nutritious, which is why you should include them in your daily diet. Besides, they also taste great. If you want to fry, wait until the slices turn golden brown and you know they are well-done. If they change color before you even cook them, then it means that the potatoes are no longer safe. You should throw them away. The first recipe is spicy fried potato.
Spicy fried potato ingredients:
- 4 large potatoes
- 8 lemon basil leaves
- 4 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 big red chilies
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp shrimp paste
- Peel the potatoes first wash with running water. Once they are clean, cut them into small dices.
- Combine granulated sugar, shallots, garlic, chilies, and shrimp paste in a blender. Mix all of the ingredients until they turn into a raw paste. Don’t add too much water because it will be too runny.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Make sure to use lots of oil because we are going to deep fry. Deep frying is a good cooking method to ensure the potatoes are cooked all around. Deep fry all the cubes for about 5 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Set aside.
- Place another pan over medium heat and add some oil. You have to saute the potato dices with the seasoning paste. Keep stirring until the aroma comes out.
- Add palm sugar and salt. Cook until the potatoes are fully coated with the paste and properly-cooked. Serve with basil leaves.
You can also make patties. It is very easy because you have to boil or steam them until they are tender. And then you have to crush them into a smooth paste. The next step is to add seasoning. This dish is also very common in Indonesia. Some people like to eat potato patties with hot rice, fried rice, and other local dishes. They make a perfect side dish, that’s why. Now if you want to know how to make these small round thingies, here is the recipe.
Potato patty ingredients:
- 2 kg potatoes
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 l vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 100 gr chicken
- 1 sachet of seasoning powder
- Fried onions
- Peel the potatoes and clean with running water. Cut them into small slices, fry until cooked, and set aside.
- Boil the chicken in a pot until it becomes tender. Lift and drain. Next, you can to chop the chicken.
- Put garlic and pepper in a food compressor. Pulse to create a paste.
- Mash the fried potatoes until they turn into a smooth mixture, add salt, the garlic paste, and seasoning powder.
Add the chopped chicken and mix evenly. Put it in the freezer for like 30 minutes. After that, take it out and create small round patties.
- Whisk an egg, dip the patties, and then fry them for 5 minutes each. Serve with hot rice.
It sounds easy, doesn’t it? There are many Indonesian potato recipes. As said earlier, there are many ways to cook potatoes. They can be fried and seasoned. This one is probably the most simple method and result in the best taste. After frying, all you have to do is mix them with seasoned powder. You will get tasty fried potatoes. But if you want to try another method, they can also be steamed. This is way healthier since it doesn’t use oil. But steamed potatoes taste quite plain, so you have to mix them with other ingredients and spices. Here’s another recipe that you can try:
Potatoes in chili sauce ingredients:
- 3 large potatoes
- 400 gr shrimps
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 2 cm galangal
- 3 candlenuts
- 2 lime leaves, chopped
- 150 ml thick coconut milk
- 10 red chilies
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 tbsp tamarind water
- Peel potatoes with a peeler. Wash with running water and dice.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Fry the potato cubes for 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Peel and devein shrimps. Wash with running water, set aside.
- Put the seasoning ingredients in a food processor and make a thick paste.
- Place another sauce pan over medium heat. Add some oil, pour the seasoning paste into the pan and stir until it becomes fragrant. Add lemongrass, lime leaves, tamarind water, salt, and sugar.
- Add shrimps and keep cooking for 10 more minutes. The shrimps should be properly cooked at this point. They and the potato dices should be all covered in the paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
There are other Indonesian potato recipes that you should try. Indonesian foods use potatoes a lot. Many of them used boiled potatoes. They are usually cut into chunks, steamed, and then combined with other ingredients. They can also be mashed and turned into puree. The puree can be added to various foods. Potatoes recipes are easy to find. They are available in cookbooks and cooking sites. You just have to use more local spices to make them taste like Asian cuisine.