Baked Lamb Shanks With Onion
4 meaty lamb shanks, about 4 lbs.
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. each ginger and turmeric
1/4 tsp. each allspice and coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1 lemon, thinly sliced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 Tbs.p olive or salad oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cooked brown rice
Lemon slices for garnish
1. Place lamb shanks single layer in a deep casserole.
2. In frying pan, saute onions in butter and oil until fragrant but not browned. Add garlic, salt and spices. Mix until onions are evenly coated. Stir in water and honey, blending well. Pour over lamb shanks.
3. Arrange lemon slices over shanks. Cover.
4. Bake at 350 Degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until lamb is juicy and tender and meat comes away easily from bones.
5. Arrange on bed of cooked brown rice. Top with onions. Discard lemon.
6. Skim fat from juices. Boil juices down until slightly thickened. Spoon over meat. Garnish with fresh lemon slices.