Balado is a name given to a sauce from Indonesia. It is hot, spicy, and delicious. In fact, it is one of the most popular kinds of chili sauce there. It can be served with various local dishes. That is why it became so popular. We think you need to know how to make it especially if you really like spicy foods. This sauce is usually cooked with beef and chicken, but it is a good idea to cook it with boiled eggs as well. Some people prefer vegetables and other plant-based alternatives, but if you prefer chicken and beef, it is fine.
Eggs in spicy sauce recipes are easy to find on the internet. There are a lot of varieties since it is not only popular in one place. It is passed down from generation to generation in different places, which is why you can find a lot of different flavors when visiting different parts of Indonesia. The spiciness depends on the amount of chilies added while cooking. You can also use chili powder, instead. It will be much simpler since you don’t need to peel and seed the chilies. The main ingredient is definitely chilies, but garlic and tomatoes are also important since they enhance the flavor.
Eggs in spicy sauce ingredients:
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, shells removed
- 8 chilies, seeded and chopped
- 5 medium shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough, put the eggs into it and fry for like 3 minutes until they turn golden brown. Transfer them to a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine all the spices. Stir occasionally until the paste becomes tender. It usually takes around 10-15 minutes. Add water little by little to help soften the texture. Bring it to a simmer for a few more minutes.
- Some people don’t like their paste thin. If you don’t like it, either, then make sure to not add too much water to the mixture or the paste will be runny. It will taste good since the sauce is supposed to be attached to the eggs.
- Add the eggs, or you can also cut them in half. However, this can make the egg yolks to fall apart and affect the taste of the sauce. Therefore, it is best to keep them intact. You can cut them when eating. Keep stirring and wait until the water evaporates. This will thicken the sauce.
- Serve warm with rice. These eggs can be stored for a few days. Just return them into the frying pan if you need to reheat.
Everyone has their own way of cooking eggs in spicy sauce. There are some tweaks you can do, like adding coconut milk because it will definitely change the taste, but not in a bad way. Some people also like to garnish this dish with sliced fried shallots. This sambal telur balado recipe is for 6 servings.