Ayam Taliwang is a well-known dish in Indonesia, particularly Lombok. It has a unique taste thanks to the variety of spices used to make it. The main ingredient is chicken, of course. It should be grilled halfway. And when it becomes a little bit smooth, it is removed from the grille. You would need a pestle to make it even tender. Ayam Taliwang looks kind of similar to other local chicken dishes, but it tastes completely different. The presentation is what makes it similar. However, you should try the sauce because it is the part that sets it apart from other dishes.
It is spicy and savory with traces of shrimp paste. This can be found in various places, but we’d recommend you to come directly to Lombok if you want to try an authentic recipe. There are a few ways to cook the chicken. Some people prefer to grill it, while others like it deep fried. The way it is cooked doesn’t affect its taste. What affects the taste is the spices. For this reason, please find a restaurant that offers a unique recipe of chicken taliwang.
Ayam Taliwang ingredients:
- 1 kg chicken drumlets
- 3 shallots
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 big red chilies, chopped
- 100 grams cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried shrimp paste
- 5 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, chopped
- 1 lime, extract the juice
- 150 ml coconut oil
- 50 ml cooking oil
- Fried Sliced ??Shallots
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- Roast the shrimp paste in a dry pan. Don’t forget to wrap it in tin foil to prevent burning. Some people prefer to roast it over an open flame. Whichever method you prefer, just make sure the dried shrimp paste does not burn. Or if you use an electric stove, it can also be put on the burner. Depending on the heat, it can be roasted for 1 to 2 minutes. When the paste smells good, set aside.
- Pour all the ingredients like the chilies, palm sugar, Kaffir lime leaf, garlic, shallots, and coconut oil into a blender. Why should you add oil to the blender, not use it for cooking? It can be used to fry the chicken, but this is a perfect method if you want to grill it, instead. The coconut oil will hold all the spices together and help create a thick paste. Keep blending until the paste becomes thick. After that, add the roasted shrimp paste and a pinch of salt. You can add more salt in the end if the paste doesn’t taste salty enough. Lime juice should also be added to the paste. Stir the paste until everything is mixed evenly.
- You will use the paste to marinate the chicken. But don’t use the whole paste. Instead, use only 1/3 and put the rest aside.
- For sauteing, heat coconut oil in a shallow pan for like one minute. Put the chicken drumlets into the pan and deep fry. It usually takes around 2 minutes until the chicken turns golden brown. Remove the drumlets and grill them using the rest of the paste.
- Serve ayam taliwang with rice, fried sliced ??onions, and sweet soy sauce.