Gado-gado is a popular dish in Indonesia. It looks a bit like a salad, but the dressing is not olive oil like we usually see. It is served with a unique sauce made of peanuts and other tasty ingredients. It is not just another street food because it is one of the most well-known dishes from Indonesia. As with any other salad, the primary ingredient is vegetables. It also uses tofu and eggs that really improve the taste.
Besides, it is healthy considering the primary ingredients are rich in fiber. Tofu and tempeh are made of soybeans. They taste quite plain, but the peanut dressing makes it very special. This dish is easy to find at food stalls. You can visit any city in Indonesia, it should be easy to come across this local dish. If you want to make it, then prepare for tofu, tempeh, beansprouts, potatoes, eggs, and many others. Here is a gado-gado recipe that you can try.
- 100g tofu, cut into small chunks
- 100g tempeh, cut into small chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 100g green beans, cut in half
- 200g cabbage, shredded
- 100g beansprouts
- prawn crackers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g peanut butter
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 2 cayenne peppers
- 1 lime juice
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Make sure that the oil is hot enough before you fry the tofu and tempeh. Add them into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes until they turn brown. Transfer them to a medium bowl and set aside. The next ingredient is you have to fry is the potato slices. Fry them for 2 minutes until the inside becomes tender. Transfer to the same bowl. Place tissues on it if you do not like them greasy.
- Boil the eggs until fully cooked inside. It probably takes like 10 minutes to finish. And then, you have to boil the vegetables. Just put all the veggies into the water you used to cook the eggs. These vegetables absorb water quickly. They will probably be tender in 3 minutes. Drain and let them cool to room temperature.
- Now all the ingredients have been properly cooked, you have to make the peanut dressing. Just mesh all the ingredients together, like peanuts, shrimp paste, garlic, salt, and sweet soy sauce. Add some water until it creates a paste. Use a fork to combine them. The sauce should not be too thin. It has to be somewhat thick and not runny.
- Put the fried and boiled ingredients into a large bowl or a plate. Arrange them nicely before pouring the peanut dressing over them. Make sure it doesn’t cover all the vegetables because you would want it to look palatable. And then, spread prawn crackers over the sauce and it is ready to be served with rice. Add lime juice to give extra freshness.
That’s a gado-gado recipe you can try. It is very easy to make and the ingredients are also sold everywhere.