Lontong sayur is one of the dishes that the indonesian people really like. It looks like a typical dish with rice cake. The main ingredient is rice cake. If you have not tasted it before, just give it a try. It is savory because it uses a variety of spices. The sauce is thin as it contains lots of water. You can make it thick, but many people like it runny because it is much better when combined with rice cake. It looks tempting and yellowish in color. The reason is because this dish uses turmeric.
Turmeric is one of the most important spices in indonesian cuisine. Nearly every recipe uses turmeric because it really improves taste. Vegetables also are needed to make this dish. You can add bean sprouts into the broth and other veggies. It is not mandatory to add them, but without veggies it doesn’t taste the same. Some people also like to add boiled eggs because they complement the flavor really well. Should you add coconut milk? Yes, it is another important ingredient for this dish. Without coconut milk, it will taste a bit plain. It enriches the taste and improves the texture. With coconut milk, lontong sayur feels so creamy. Here is how to make it:
- 3 rice cakes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 5 tofu, fried
- 1 handful of bean sprouts, brewed with hot water
- 100 gram kale, boiled
- 50 gr cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cm turmeric, finely chopped
- 500 ml coconut milk
- Cooking oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add all the spices except the coconut milk, lemon grass and bay leaves. Keep stirring until the aroma comes out.
- Once the mixture becomes fragrant, you can add lemon grass and bay leaves. Saute until they wither. It is important to cook the spices until they are properly cooked before you add coconut milk because the broth will taste better this way. It probably takes five minutes to make all the spices properly cooked.
- And then, pour the coconut milk into the mixture and stir occasionally. You need to bring it to a boil first, and then bring it to a simmer. However, unlike cooking rendang, it doesn’t take long to finish. As long as the broth is already boiling, you can wait for a few more minutes. Don’t cook it for hours because it will affect the texture of the coconut milk.
- Add pepper powder, salt, sugar, and try it. If it doesn’t taste right, add more spices. Just add as much as you want. Some people don’t like it too salty. Others like to add more pepper because they like rich flavors.
Switch off the stove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl you can arrange the main ingredients, like rice cakes, carrots, tofu, bean sprouts and kale. Sprinkle the mixture with the sauce and serve it.
It sounds easy, right? You can try this lontong sayur recipe at home.