Indonesian Recipes Dessert: Sweet Martabak
What is the best Indonesian recipes dessert? There are so many, but we’d like you to try martabak manis or sweet martabak. This street food is easy to find across the country. It makes a great dessert or even appetizer. If you like sweet foods, this one is definitely worth-trying. It looks like pancakes. Well, it tastes quite similar, but a little bit thicker. Pancakes are usually soft in texture. This one is soft, too, but kind of thicker overall. It is sold in various places in Asia. You can find similar dishes in other countries and they may go by different names.
Martabak manis is usually sold at night. The street vendors prepare for their stalls by the dawn. This makes a lucrative business because sweet martabak is popular across the country. It has become an icon, so nearly all Indonesians know this food. The special part of this cake is the fillings. There are so many variations, like strawberry jam, chocolate, ground peanuts, cheese, cream milk, and many others. They vary in price. The more fillings a martabak has, the higher the price is.
We’re sure you will be thrilled to try this food. Many people are not accustomed to asian flavors because they use too many spices. Well, this one is an exception. It tastes like everything you’ve tried before. It is like a pancake, but with a different texture. If you’re in the country, just go out at night. You will find so many vendors selling this sweet cake. Here is an Indonesian recipes dessert you can try.
Martabak manis ingredients:
- 230 gr self-raising flour
- 20 gr tapioca flour
- 2 eggs
- 11 gr instant yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Warm milk 375 ml
- 150 gr sugar
- Sweet condensed milk
- Shredded cheese
- Coarse ground peanuts
- Chocolate sprinkle
- Mix tapioca flour, self-raising flour, and sugar in a bowl.
- Combine warm milk and yeast with a mixer. Stir until both ingredients are well-combined and then add the flour mixture.
- Keep stirring while adding the eggs. This sounds like making typical cake dough, right? It is easy, just make sure all of them are properly mixed before baking.
- Let the mixture set for 20 minutes. Cover it up using a plastic wrap or something. There will be bubbles coming up to the surface after waiting that long. It shows that the mixture is easy to be used.
- When it comes to baking, you can use a round baking pan or a teflon. The latter is easier to find because most of us use it for cooking.
- This recipe is enough for 4 servings, so divide the mixture into 4. Bake them one by one. Rub margarine on the teflon, so that it looks nice when the cake is done. Pour it into the pan and close it with a glass lid. It will be easier to tell when the cake is properly cooked this way. Cook for 5 minutes, you will start to see bubbles on the cake. Add sugar and the fillings before the cake hardens. Other toppings like chocolate, cheese, and condensed milk can be added later when the cake is done.
That’s an Indonesian recipes dessert for you.