Indonesian Breakfast Recipe: Nasi Uduk
We’ll share with you an Indonesian breakfast recipe. There has to be something special about nasi uduk because it has become a favorite breakfast menu for many people across the country. If you want to visit Indonesia, it will not be hard to find sellers of this food in the morning. The fragrant aroma is one of the best things about nasi uduk. Well, it is totally understandable considering coconut milk is the main ingredient.
The rice is cooked with coconut milk, resulting in a soft texture. It also makes the rice taste savory. Just like any other Indonesian recipe, it uses a lot of herbs and spices. Rice doesn’t need to be seasoned, so when you use plenty of spices, it will taste totally different. If you’ve ever visited other Southeast Asian countries, you will realize that similar dishes are available everywhere. In Malaysia, for instance, you will be able to find ‘nasi lemak’.
While rice is the main part of this food, the side dishes are also important. It is commonly served with fried tofu, fried noodle, tempeh, chili, cucumber, and other veggies. You can add anything on to the plate. Prawn crackers taste great, too. Nasi uduk can be found all day long although it is a popular food for breakfast. Just search for them at roadside stalls. There is usually a printed sign in front of each food stall to show what the seller is offering.
Nasi uduk ingredients:
- 2 cups rice
- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cm thin slices of ginger
- 1 cm slices of galangal
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lemongrass, flattened, knotted
- 2 pandan leaves, knotted
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 50 g fried peanut
- 2 red chilies
- 75 ml water
- Fried tempeh
- Fried peanuts
- Fried tofu
- Fried noodle
- Prawn crackers
- Vegetables (cucumber, beansprouts, etc)
- Shredded chicken
- Wash all the ingredients thoroughly and put them into the rice cooker. Cook until the rice is ready. Open the lid and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Take out all the spices and herbs from the rice. Just keep the rice only. Stir with the paddle that comes with the cooking pot. Cooking with a rice cooker is actually a modern method. Back in the day, people cooked rice twice using traditional cookware.
- Use a banana leaf to wrap the rice. Shape it into a cone, or you can simply serve the cooked rice on a plate.
- The next one you need to make the peanut sauce. Grind all the ingredients and add water little by little. They will turn into a paste. Make sure the sauce is not too runny because the texture is very important. Some people like to cook the sauce, while others serve it directly. It is all up to you. If you prefer a cooked sauce, then place it over the small heat until it becomes hot. Don’t need to wait until it’s boiling.
- Serve the rice with side dishes.
It’s quite simple, right? If you don’t like peanut sauce that much, sambal terasi is a good replacement. It goes well with the taste of the rice. That’s an Indonesian breakfast recipe you should try.